- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Saturday Old Town Cape's annual Charles L. Hutson Auction will be held at 5 p.m. at the Southeast Missouri State University River Campus.
Following this year's auction -- which includes a cocktail reception, food being provided by several downtown restaurants -- will be a benefit concert by Straight No Chaser, an a cappella group from Indiana University.
Proceeds from the auction and concert will help cover Old Town Cape's operating costs, which in turn aids in the continued revitalization of downtown Cape Girardeau.
Also noteworthy is the person for whom the auction is named: Charles L. Hutson. Hutson -- who passed away in 2003 -- was a leading businessman, active member of the community and a strong advocate to keep downtown Cape Girardeau a vibrant business district. His legacy continues through events like the Old Town Cape auction as well as through his wife, Judi, and sons, Chris and Dave, who manage the family furniture store in downtown Cape Girardeau. Additionally, the chairwoman of the auction again this year is Jerra Hutson, Charles' daughter-in-law.
If you would like to support Old Town Cape by attending the auction, concert or both, we would encourage you to purchase tickets ahead of time. Tickets for the reception, auction, preferred concert seating and a VIP meet-and-greet following the show are $45. To purchase these tickets, which are limited, you may call Old Town Cape at 334-8085. Concert only tickets start at $15 and may be purchased through the River Campus box office at 651-2265.