- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Poplar Bluff teenager killed in hit-and-run
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- A Poplar Bluff teen was killed in a hit-and-run accident at 9:50 p.m. Sunday on Highway 142 three miles south of Poplar Bluff.
According to a report, Alexander Metzing, 18, was slowing to make a right turn when the motorized scooter he was riding was struck from behind by a dark blue pickup. The driver of the pickup then fled the scene. Metzing was pronounced dead at the scene by Butler County deputy coroner Joe Chapman.
Missouri State Highway Patrol Sgt. J.M. Weadon said Metzing was driving southbound on Highway 142 near Half Moon Lane when he was struck.
"Then [the truck] left the scene and we had a couple of witnesses that were there within seconds of the
accident happening," he said, adding the witnesses were other motorists on the road at the time of the incident.
"We did have a witness and we've got some physical evidence that tells us it was a dark blue vehicle."
The truck involved "stopped for a moment and then left," according to Weadon.
"I feel confident they know what happened," he added.
Debris from both vehicles remained at the scene Monday morning, and a highway patrol crash reconstruction team processed the scene.
Weadon said the truck involved would have front end damage, although it could be relatively minor.
Anyone with information may call Weadon at Troop E headquarters at 573-840-9500.
Poplar Bluff, MO