- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Pitching in for the community
In June, Cape Girardeau resident Karen Cox and members of the church she attends traveled to Joplin, Mo., to volunteer and help with disaster relief efforts.
"Several of the men and women that went had full- time jobs in which they asked those they worked for if they could be sponsored," Cox said. "Of course they weren't expecting to be paid but thought they would ask anyway. One of the men that went worked for Hutson's Furniture in downtown Cape Girardeau. Without any questions, Hutson's agreed to sponsor him. I just thought that was so neat, especially when times are so hard and money is so difficult to come by. I thought it would be neat to recognize Hutsons for being so generous and giving back in a real time of need."