- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)3
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)16
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/24/16)4
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
Emerson squandered opportunity
What statistical improbability exists to explain the complete lack of leadership skills demonstrated by 16-year member of Congress Jo Ann Emerson?
The single defining issue of the last election cycle was this country's spending problem. Instead of offering solutions, Emerson wastes her constituents' time by propping up boogeymen and exploiting her sizable elderly voting base through falsified threats of Social Security cuts, while playing another round of "kick the can" by voting for more debt. She even stands in the way of basic common sense deficit reducing ideas like cutting obsolete Saturday mail delivery.
Emerson has verified that she is not a free-market proponent. She and her fellow Republicans have squandered an opportunity to address runaway spending in a meaningful way. When will the voters of the Missouri's 8th Congressional District start to consider the negative impact that the actions of career politicians have had on future generations?
RICK VANDEVEN, Chaffee, Mo.