- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Emerson squandered opportunity
What statistical improbability exists to explain the complete lack of leadership skills demonstrated by 16-year member of Congress Jo Ann Emerson?
The single defining issue of the last election cycle was this country's spending problem. Instead of offering solutions, Emerson wastes her constituents' time by propping up boogeymen and exploiting her sizable elderly voting base through falsified threats of Social Security cuts, while playing another round of "kick the can" by voting for more debt. She even stands in the way of basic common sense deficit reducing ideas like cutting obsolete Saturday mail delivery.
Emerson has verified that she is not a free-market proponent. She and her fellow Republicans have squandered an opportunity to address runaway spending in a meaningful way. When will the voters of the Missouri's 8th Congressional District start to consider the negative impact that the actions of career politicians have had on future generations?
RICK VANDEVEN, Chaffee, Mo.