- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)18
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Hunger and education
Soon children throughout Southeast Missouri will return to school. While many children will complain about losing their summer freedom, for others school is the only place where they are guaranteed a meal.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than 17 million children are at risk of hunger. Nearly 40 percent of people receiving food or groceries from the Feeding America network are children.
On the first day of school in our community, children experiencing hunger will have already fallen behind their classmates. These children will have more difficulty concentrating in class, be sick more often during the school year and be less likely to excel academically.
The consequences of child hunger extend far beyond this school year. Children who grow up poor are more likely to be unemployed and to receive public assistance as adults, continuing the cycle of poverty.
Through national child-feeding programs such as Backpack Program and the School Based Pantry Program provided locally, Southeast Missouri Food Bank provides additional meals for children whose families cannot afford to keep food on the table.
Together, we can provide a better tomorrow for children in need.
KAREN GREEN, executive director,
Southeast Missouri Food Bank, Cape Girardeau