- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Hunger and education
Soon children throughout Southeast Missouri will return to school. While many children will complain about losing their summer freedom, for others school is the only place where they are guaranteed a meal.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, more than 17 million children are at risk of hunger. Nearly 40 percent of people receiving food or groceries from the Feeding America network are children.
On the first day of school in our community, children experiencing hunger will have already fallen behind their classmates. These children will have more difficulty concentrating in class, be sick more often during the school year and be less likely to excel academically.
The consequences of child hunger extend far beyond this school year. Children who grow up poor are more likely to be unemployed and to receive public assistance as adults, continuing the cycle of poverty.
Through national child-feeding programs such as Backpack Program and the School Based Pantry Program provided locally, Southeast Missouri Food Bank provides additional meals for children whose families cannot afford to keep food on the table.
Together, we can provide a better tomorrow for children in need.
KAREN GREEN, executive director,
Southeast Missouri Food Bank, Cape Girardeau