- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Sheriff's department: Couple from Benton, Mo., charged with growing marijuana
BENTON, Mo. -- A Benton couple are facing charges of growing marijuana after their arrest by the Scott County Sheriff's Department.
According to a sheriff's department news release, William Russell, 57, and Karla Russell, 55, both of rural Benton, were arrested and charged with two counts of manufacturing a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The sheriff's department received a search warrant for the Russells' property after getting information that marijuana was being grown there. Deputies searched the property Monday afternoon and seized 21 plants, according to the news release. Officers also reportedly found vacuum-packed marijuana inside the home, paraphernalia, potting soil, watering devices and marijuana seeds.
Bond was set at $50,000 for each person.