- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Police: Woman arrested after meth found hidden in pants (5/26/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Two men face charges in Cape prostitution sting (5/28/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
This month marks the 11th birthday of Tracker, the beagle mascot of the Southeast Missourian Jr.
In addition to celebrating the beloved mascot, this month is also the 11th anniversary of the Southeast Missourian Jr., a publication of this newspaper written for and by young readers. So it's fitting that it was through a contest among children that Tracker received his name.
Scott Anderson, Southeast Missourian graphic artist, drew Tracker after looking over photos of the personal dogs of Cheryl Ellis, targeted sales manager and editor of the Southeast Missourian Jr.
"Tracker has become not only the mascot of the Jr. but pretty much an icon for the Southeast Missourian," said Ellis. "Most people know who he is when then see him, and the kids love him."
Tonight you can help celebrate Tracker's birthday at the Discovery Playhouse. Cake will be served, and children can learn from Scott Anderson how to draw Tracker.
From 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. the public will receive half-price admission to the museum with a donation to "Treats for Tracker's Friends," with proceeds going to local animal shelters. While Tracker will only be making an appearance this evening, the Discovery Playhouse will continue the monthlong celebration with half price admission from 5 to 8 p.m. every Friday in August
Consider joining us tonight at the Discovery Playhouse as we celebrate Tracker and the Southeast Missourian Jr.