- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
This month marks the 11th birthday of Tracker, the beagle mascot of the Southeast Missourian Jr.
In addition to celebrating the beloved mascot, this month is also the 11th anniversary of the Southeast Missourian Jr., a publication of this newspaper written for and by young readers. So it's fitting that it was through a contest among children that Tracker received his name.
Scott Anderson, Southeast Missourian graphic artist, drew Tracker after looking over photos of the personal dogs of Cheryl Ellis, targeted sales manager and editor of the Southeast Missourian Jr.
"Tracker has become not only the mascot of the Jr. but pretty much an icon for the Southeast Missourian," said Ellis. "Most people know who he is when then see him, and the kids love him."
Tonight you can help celebrate Tracker's birthday at the Discovery Playhouse. Cake will be served, and children can learn from Scott Anderson how to draw Tracker.
From 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. the public will receive half-price admission to the museum with a donation to "Treats for Tracker's Friends," with proceeds going to local animal shelters. While Tracker will only be making an appearance this evening, the Discovery Playhouse will continue the monthlong celebration with half price admission from 5 to 8 p.m. every Friday in August
Consider joining us tonight at the Discovery Playhouse as we celebrate Tracker and the Southeast Missourian Jr.