- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)4
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
THEBES, Ill. -- Charles William Smithey, 66, of Thebes passed away Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2011, at his home.
He was born May 3, 1945, in Cairo, Ill., son of the late Virgil and Clara J. Dover Smithey.
Charles was a retired construction laborer.
He was a U.S. Army veteran of the Vietnam War.
Survivors include a daughter, Deanna (Gregory) Osborn of Machesney Park, Ill.; a son, Daniel (Cora) Smithey of Dongola, Ill.; three brothers, Royal Smithey of Sutherlin, Ore., Dale Smithey of Beloit, Ill., Paul Smithey of Wynona, Okla.; five sisters, Marilyn Mason of Harvard, Ill., Janice Tatum of Tamms, Ill., Doris Clark of Olive Branch, Ill., Cathy Johnson of Cape Girardeau, Alberta Knorr of Shirland, Ill.; eight grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
Friends may call from 10 a.m. to service time Saturday at Jones Funeral Home in Tamms.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Clint Nale officiating. Full military honors will be provided by members of Illinois National Guard Military Team and area veterans. Interment will be in Sims Cemetery near Elco, Ill.