- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Redhawks voted ninth in OVC preseason poll
The Southeast Missouri State volleyball squad has been picked to finish ninth in the 11-team Ohio Valley Conference in the preseason poll announced Wednesday.
Southeast, which has a new coach in Julie Folliard, went 7-22 overall and 4-14 in the OVC last year to tie for ninth place. The Redhawks failed to qualify for the league tournament the past two seasons.
Defending OVC regular-season champion Morehead State is picked to win the title, receiving 13 of 22 first-place votes by the league's coaches and sports information directors.
Defending OVC tournament champion Austin Peay is picked second with five first-place votes, followed by Jacksonville State with three first-place votes and Tennessee Tech with one.
Eastern Kentucky is slated for fifth, followed by Murray State, Eastern Illinois, Tennessee State, Southeast, Tennessee-Martin and first-year OVC member SIU-Edwardsville.
Southeast sophomore middle blocker Emily Coon was voted to the 14-player preseason all-conference team.
Southeast begins the season Aug. 26 at the Memphis Invitational.