- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
They're No. 1: Alexandra Eakin, Bell City high school valedictorian
School: Bell City High School
Hometown: Bell City
Parents: Pat Eakin
Post-graduation plans: Attend Southeast Missouri State University and major in finance
High school activities: Volleyball, Cheerleading, Academic Team, Beta Club, FBLA, FCCLA, Pep Club, Student Council
Honors: Beta Club State Convention English Competition - second place, FBLA District Competition Intro to Business Communications - first place, Student of the Year, All District Volleyball Team, All County Cheerleading and Volleyball teams
Favorite high school memory: I could never just pick one, something hilarious happened every day.
Favorite teacher and why: Jessica Cloninger. Not only was she a wonderful English teacher and cheerleading coach, she's also one of my best friends.
Role model: My mother, as unoriginal as that is, but she truly is the strongest woman I know.
Summer plans: I recently spent a week in Europe, which was amazing enough for all summer, so the rest of time will be devoted to working and relaxing.
What will you miss about High School? Being so involved in everything
Advice to incoming seniors: Don't start the countdown to graduation the very first day of school. Try to enjoy it and the people around you.
How will you make the world a better place? I truly believe in those "pass it on" commercials; if you show kindness and respect to someone, they will show it to someone else.
What your prop says about you: This represents all the tears, sweat and, yes, even blood I put into a group of people I loved, respected and believed in.