- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
They're No. 1: Alexandra Eakin, Bell City high school valedictorian
School: Bell City High School
Hometown: Bell City
Parents: Pat Eakin
Post-graduation plans: Attend Southeast Missouri State University and major in finance
High school activities: Volleyball, Cheerleading, Academic Team, Beta Club, FBLA, FCCLA, Pep Club, Student Council
Honors: Beta Club State Convention English Competition - second place, FBLA District Competition Intro to Business Communications - first place, Student of the Year, All District Volleyball Team, All County Cheerleading and Volleyball teams
Favorite high school memory: I could never just pick one, something hilarious happened every day.
Favorite teacher and why: Jessica Cloninger. Not only was she a wonderful English teacher and cheerleading coach, she's also one of my best friends.
Role model: My mother, as unoriginal as that is, but she truly is the strongest woman I know.
Summer plans: I recently spent a week in Europe, which was amazing enough for all summer, so the rest of time will be devoted to working and relaxing.
What will you miss about High School? Being so involved in everything
Advice to incoming seniors: Don't start the countdown to graduation the very first day of school. Try to enjoy it and the people around you.
How will you make the world a better place? I truly believe in those "pass it on" commercials; if you show kindness and respect to someone, they will show it to someone else.
What your prop says about you: This represents all the tears, sweat and, yes, even blood I put into a group of people I loved, respected and believed in.