- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. -- John F. Skaggs, 49, of East Prairie died Friday, June 17, 2011, from injuries sustained in a vehicle accident that occurred June 9 near Scott City.
He was born June 28, 1961, in Festus, Mo., to Bill and Norma Roderick Skaggs.
Skaggs moved to East Prairie from Union County, Ill., in August 2002. A graduate of East Prairie High School, he received a bachelor of science degree in microbiology from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale and then was certified as a medical technologist.
He was employed with St. Mary's Hospital in Cairo, Ill., Union County Hospital in Anna, Ill., and in May 2001 took a position at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau where he was currently employed.
He and Sherry Hinson were married Aug. 25, 1997.
Survivors include his wife; a son, Jimmy Stanley of Anna; a daughter, Tamatha Gottschall of East Prairie; six grandchildren, Ann-Marie, Kathlyn, Dalton John, Tristan, Alizabeth and Emily.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by a brother, Vernon Lee Skaggs; and two sisters, Dixie Lee Skaggs and Renee Skaggs.
Visitation will begin at 5 p.m. Friday at McMikle Funeral Home in Charleston, Mo.
A memorial service will be conducted at 7 p.m. Friday at the funeral home. The Rev. Larry Smith, interim pastor of the Church of God in East Prairie, will officiate.
Online condolences may be shared at www.mcmiklefuneralhome.com.