- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Stocks shake off two-week slump
NEW YORK -- A better than expected retail sales report reversed a two-week slump in the stock market Tuesday, sending indexes higher for only the third day this month.
The Dow Jones industrial average jumped back above 12,000 and all three indexes had their best day so far in June.
The government said retail sales edged down 0.2 percent last month. Analysts had expected worse. Excluding weak car sales, retail sales rose 0.3 percent.
The stronger report on retail sales sent the stocks of department stores and other retailers higher.