- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)12
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Stocks shake off two-week slump
NEW YORK -- A better than expected retail sales report reversed a two-week slump in the stock market Tuesday, sending indexes higher for only the third day this month.
The Dow Jones industrial average jumped back above 12,000 and all three indexes had their best day so far in June.
The government said retail sales edged down 0.2 percent last month. Analysts had expected worse. Excluding weak car sales, retail sales rose 0.3 percent.
The stronger report on retail sales sent the stocks of department stores and other retailers higher.