- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Summer baseball roundup
Jackson Sr. Legion cruises to sweep
The Jackson Senior American Legion baseball team continued its strong start to the season Saturday by sweeping a doubleheader from visiting De Soto.
Jackson (11-3) pounded out 10-0 and 14-7 victories. The opener went just five innings due to the 10-run mercy rule.
Former Oak Ridge High School standout Brett Thomas, who has signed to play baseball at the University of Missouri, had a huge day at the plate.
Thomas went 3 for 3 with a home run and three RBIs in the first game, then belted two homers and had six RBIs in the second game.
Kendall Fay also homered in the opener to back the one-hit pitching of John Bohnsack, who struck out eight and walked four.
Bohnsack went 3 for 3 in the nightcap. Jackson had 10 hits in each contest. Alex Bolen was the winning pitcher.
Jackson visits District 14 rival Cape Girardeau Ford & Sons on Monday for a 6 p.m. doubleheader.
Cobras go 1-2 at St. Louis tourney
The Southeast Missouri Cobras 16-under baseball team went 1-2 over the weekend at the Rawlings Club Championships played in St. Louis.
The Cobras (8-2) opened the tournament with an 11-5 loss to The Illini baseball club. Ryan Fortner and Cambron Womack both went 2 for 2. Fortner homered and Womack had a two-run triple.
Then came a 16-0 win against the Rawlings Tigers. Fortner went 2 for 2 with four RBIs. Tyler Anderson also went 2 for 2 with two RBIs.
Womack added two hits and Calvin Lovig pitched a shutout.
The Cobras fell to the Rawlings Prospects 7-5 in their final game. Kyle Harris went 2 for 2 with a home run, a double and four RBIs.
Jackson Sr. Babe Ruth sweeps Bloomfield
The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth baseball team moved above the .500 mark by sweeping a doubleheader Friday night.
Jackson (5-3) beat visiting Bloomfield 7-3 and 7-2.
Matt Stueve only needed 59 pitches to work all seven innings in the opener. He allowed four hits and one earned run while striking out six and walking none.
Jackson had nine hits, two each by Spencer Sander, Clay Roth, Jon Winkler and Shawn Hadler.
Winkler also went the distance on the mound in the nightcap. He allowed four hits, struck out two and walked one.
Jackson had 13 hits, three by both Sander and Ethan Dambach.
Jackson visits Charleston on Monday at 6 p.m.
-- From staff reports