- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
PERRYVILLE, Mo. -- Alma Ann Schumer, 86, of Perryville, fortified with the sacraments of the Catholic church, entered into eternal life Thursday, June 9, 2011, at Independence Care Center of Perry County.
She was born May 12, 1925, in St. Louis, daughter of Edwin and Mary Schumer Unverferth. She and Norbert J. Schumer were married June 24, 1944.
Survivors include her husband; nine children, Miriam (Ken) Layton of Perryville, Sister Carol Schumer of St. Louis, Sharon (Bob) Moonier, Gary (Norma Christisen) Schumer, Cathy (Lynn) Peirick, Bob (Jackie Buerck) Schumer, Kenny (Diane Layton) Schumer, Dave (Kathy Wibbenmeyer) Schumer, all of Perryville, Tom (Debbie Newell) Schumer of Cape Girardeau; 26 grandchildren; 36 great-grandchildren and expecting one.
Other survivors include eight siblings, Joe Unverferth, Rosemary Healy, Edwin Unverferth, Joan Welker, Jack Unverferth, Regina Unverferth, Jim Unverferth and Mary Ann Becker.
She was preceded in death by a sister, Ruth Baer; two brothers, Thomas "Pete" and "Sonny" Unverferth; a granddaughter and her husband, Amy Schumer Schamburg and Jason Schamburg.
Schumer was a very loving wife and mother, and the heart and center of her family with unconditional love for everyone she met. She was the ultimate role model and remains so for her family and friends.
She was a member of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, Daughters of Isabella, Ladies of Charity, Cursillo, Eucharistic Adoration, Ministry of Praise, Knights of Columbus Council 1263 Auxiliary and a volunteer many years at St. Vincent Elementary School library. She was a 1943 graduate of St. Vincent High School.
Visitation will be from 4 to 9 p.m. today and 6 to 10:45 a.m. Monday at St. Vincent's Church, 1000 Rosati Court in Perryville. A parish vigil will be held at 7 p.m. today. The rosary will be recited at 9 a.m. Monday.
Funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the church, with the Revs. Jason Schumer and Milton Ryan concelebrating. Burial will be in Mount Hope Cemetery.
Young and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, memorials are preferred to St. Vincent de Paul Schools, Vincentian Marian Youth, Cursillo, Birthright or Serenity Hospice.
Online condolences to firstname.lastname@example.org.