- Marble Hill fires entire sewer department (8/23/16)4
- Ex-Southeast student gets probation for placing homemade sex video on porn site without woman's knowledge (8/24/16)13
- Witness says he saw man shoot Domorlo McCaster (8/19/16)2
- Southeast imposes 'interim suspension' of Sigma Nu fraternity over vandalism incident (8/19/16)22
- The Chrome Queens (8/21/16)2
- Pitmasters to descend on Arena Park for Cape BBQ Fest (8/19/16)2
- Local private school dreams bigger, plans for new building at Sprigg and Lexington (8/22/16)
- Bootheel lawmaker seeks probe into crop damage by illegal herbicide spraying (8/24/16)1
- Newsmakers 2016: Jason Bandermann (8/15/16)
- Gender-neutral restrooms now available at Southeast (8/18/16)38
Contortionist thief hid in suitcase, stole from luggage in bus cargo bay
MADRID -- A man was arrested in Spain after curling himself up inside a large suitcase that was placed in an airport bus cargo bay and sneaking out to steal from other people's luggage, police said Thursday.
The man arrested last week was 5'10" tall and very thin, a police official in the northeastern Catalonia region said. An accomplice was also arrested.
The suspects were successful on several occasions before being caught, the police official said on condition of anonymity because of department rules. The accomplice would place the contortionist thief inside the cargo bay of a bus running from the airport in the city of Girona south to Barcelona, board the bus and then retrieve him at the end of the line.
During the 60-mile ride, the man would slip out of the suitcase and use a sharp object to pick locks or open zippers to get into other people's luggage, police said. He stole objects including cell phones, laptops and GPS devices and would place them in a smaller bag that he brought with him. The thief would then get back into the larger suitcase and when the bus reached its destination, the accomplice would retrieve both pieces of luggage.
Police were alerted by bus riders who reported items stolen from their baggage.