Out of the past 6/9/11

Thursday, June 9, 2011

25 years ago: June 9, 1986

Two of the decorative bollards surrounding the recently installed ornamental clock at the intersection of Main and Themis streets intersection were broken as the result of a one-vehicle accident at 5:30 a.m. Saturday; the uninjured driver abandoned the vehicle on Themis Street and left the scene; the clock wasn't damaged.

Voicing strong support for a flood-control plan, the Cape Girardeau City Council places a $3.3 million flood-control bond issue and related half-cent sales tax proposal on the April 5 election ballot.

50 years ago: June 9, 1961

A contemplated reorganization of the Air Force Reserve program would eliminate the 9671st Air Reserve Squadron here and would incorporate its personnel in a new unit; squadron headquarters here and flights here and in Farmington, Sikeston and Poplar Bluff, Mo., would be consolidated into the new organization, called a recovery squadron.

Climbing roses have been planted beside the columns of the recently refurbished bandstand in Courthouse Park; in coming years, the roses will be trained to travel up the columns and across the new latticework top.

75 years ago: June 9, 1936

Southeast Missouri peace officers are pressing the investigation of wholesale thefts from two district towns, the thieves in either case carting away men's suits of clothes; the 230 suits taken were valued at $4,500, and the establishments broken into were the Sterling Ivy store in Fredericktown, Mo., and the Clowe Mercantile Co. store at Dexter, Mo.

A few Cape Girardeau women will be among those applying for the government bonus because of service during the World War period; at least two were nurses in the American Red Cross, Mrs. Raymond H. Brady and Mrs. Ed Sailer.

100 years ago: June 9, 1911

Members of the Commercial Club met last night to work out plans for presentation of Pain's "Last Days of Pompeii"; the spectacle will be presented the evenings of Aug. 15 through 18 in front of the grandstand at Fairground Park.

The owners of fine dogs gather at the Commercial Club rooms to organize the Southeast Missouri Kennel Club.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: