- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Kansas City won't get anti-terrorism grant
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City is one of several cities across the country that will lose federal anti-terrorism funding that began after the Sept. 11 attacks. The Department of Homeland Security said last week that narrowing the list of cities eligible for Urban Areas Security Initiative grants is part of larger budget cuts that eliminated more than $780 million in grant money. New York, Washington and 29 other high-threat urban areas will still receive grants. The Kansas City Star reported that St. Louis will also continue to get funding.
DHS said cities no longer on the list will receive federal homeland security dollars funneled down from grants given to each state.
The Kansas City region has received almost $72 million in such funds since the program started in 2003.