- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)24
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Economic stupidity must stop
The headline of a major national newspaper recently read: "Obama to pledge new Mideast aid."
I have a serious issue with that plan. The country is broke. What part of that does the president not understand?
We are so far in debt, who knows if we will ever recover? We are borrowing money to pay the interest on the money we owe. This is unsustainable.
We will give money to the Middle East to people and governments who for the most part hate us. They will cheerfully take our money as they continue their hate. Remember their celebrations in the streets after Sept. 11? You cannot buy friendship, and I am sure they think we're pretty stupid.
A lot of the money will end up in a Swiss bank account of some government official. This is true of the Middle East and North Africa.
I am sure the accompanying speech will talk about promoting economic stability and other pretty phrases he is famous for. The bottom line is that we as taxpayers, including our children and grandchildren, will be paying for it. The hate for us will continue in the Middle East.
Sooner or later -- preferably sooner -- the economic stupidity must stop.
TERRY CANUPP, Cape Girardeau