- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)20
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
May is NF Awareness Month
NF stands for neurofibromatosis, which encompasses a set of distinct genetic disorders that causes tumors to grow along various types of nerves. NF can also affect the development of non-nervous tissues such as bones and skin. Neurofibromatosis causes tumors to grow anywhere on or in the body.
The No. 1 thing to be aware of during NF Awareness Month ... NF is real. People who live with NF overcome incredible obstacles. NF affects one in every 3,000 children born, more than cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Huntington's disease combined. NF research is shedding new light on cancer, learning disabilities, and bone abnormalities -- benefiting people beyond the NF community.
Our family is personally touched by this disorder. Our daughter was diagnosed when she was 9 months old. She is now 12. She had very minimal manifestations until last June when it reared its ugly head in the form of a brain tumor. We take one day at a time and hope and pray that some day soon they will find a treatment or cure for NF.
We have made it our goal, in many aspects, to raise awareness of this disorder realizing not many people have heard of it. To learn more about NF, visit www.ctf.org.
MICHELLE, JEFF, TYLER, MIA AND MILEY SCHWETTMAN, Scott City, Mo.