- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
May is NF Awareness Month
NF stands for neurofibromatosis, which encompasses a set of distinct genetic disorders that causes tumors to grow along various types of nerves. NF can also affect the development of non-nervous tissues such as bones and skin. Neurofibromatosis causes tumors to grow anywhere on or in the body.
The No. 1 thing to be aware of during NF Awareness Month ... NF is real. People who live with NF overcome incredible obstacles. NF affects one in every 3,000 children born, more than cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and Huntington's disease combined. NF research is shedding new light on cancer, learning disabilities, and bone abnormalities -- benefiting people beyond the NF community.
Our family is personally touched by this disorder. Our daughter was diagnosed when she was 9 months old. She is now 12. She had very minimal manifestations until last June when it reared its ugly head in the form of a brain tumor. We take one day at a time and hope and pray that some day soon they will find a treatment or cure for NF.
We have made it our goal, in many aspects, to raise awareness of this disorder realizing not many people have heard of it. To learn more about NF, visit www.ctf.org.
MICHELLE, JEFF, TYLER, MIA AND MILEY SCHWETTMAN, Scott City, Mo.