- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)8
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Speak Out 5/19/11
Drill vs. shrill
PRESIDENT Obama's decision to drill, baby, drill will hopefully make Sarah Palin less shrill, baby, shrill.
THE water in Jackson tastes disgusting.
AS all elections, this will be decided by the urban areas of America due to the sheer size of population. Rural America will once again be in the minority on all voted issues. As this continues to widen and grow, America continues to fall behind.
Bailouts a success
SEEN at the time as risky, taxpayer loans to the automobile industry have been an unqualified success. As a case in point, GM is now raking in substantial profits as it continues to pay back the loans. This unqualified economic success will translate into a political success for Democrats as head-in-the-sand Republicans continue to refuse to acknowledge the success of this program in helping to preserve the American dream.
THE fact that a bill banning a prescription for pseudoephedrine (a precursor to meth) died in a Missouri Senate committee is the biggest and most shameful derogation of doing the right thing since the state Senate first came into existence.
THANKS to the multitudes of Missourians who once again stopped the state legislature from allowing state Sen. Jason Crowell and his cronies from privatizing and jeopardizing Missouri's public pension funds. The bad news is that Crowell will more than likely give it one another shot next year.
Should have listened
I am convinced that none of the killer earthquakes (Japan), tornadoes and floods (U.S.) would have occurred had we long ago put partisanship aside, listened to and acted upon the recommendations of Al Gore.
THANKS to Blanchard Elementary fourth-grade teachers. Our children had a wonderful time in St. Louis recently. They experienced the history of the Arch museum, went up in the Arch, and did a re-enactment of the Dred Scott trial at the courthouse. Great job, teachers and Blanchard Elementary.
NO other country sends U.S. cities any help or funds during our tragedies. I'm a conservative, and I believe that we should cut at least half of foreign aid that we give instead of messing with Medicare and Social Security. We give hundreds of billions away. Let's fix our homeland and then maybe we can start giving again.
BIG Oil has once again thumbed their noses at the American public. Oil prices drop for two consecutive weeks, but the consumer only sees one and a half days' relief at the pumps. Our government is powerless to stop them.