- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)8
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Unemployment Assistance Available for Flood Victims
JEFFERSON CITY -- Senator Jason Crowell, R-Cape Girardeau, encourages residents in Southeast Missouri who are unable to work because of flooding and heavy rains to apply for unemployment benefits through the Missouri Department of Labors' Division of Employment Security. The president declared areas of Southeast Missouri a major disaster area, opening the door for state and federal aid for the communities affected.
Residents in Mississippi County and New Madrid counties, could be eligible for the Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).
Eligible to apply for DUA are individuals who:
|*||Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of a disaster.|
|*||Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster.|
|*||Became the breadwinner or major supporter of a household because of the death of the head of the household.|
|*||Cannot work or perform self-employment due to closure of a facility by the federal government.|
Additional eligibility requirements apply. More information on who may be eligible for assistance is available by calling (800) 788-4002 or by visiting www.labor.mo.gov/DES/notices.asp#5counti... . To file a DUA claim, call 800-320-2519 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday.