- Three out, including city administrator, at Scott City; two resigned, one fired (3/16/17)1
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Police: Man beats pregnant wife, throws her down stairs, abandons her on side of road (3/14/17)17
- Several tournaments already booked at Sportsplex (3/16/17)6
- Cairo man pleads guilty to bank murders (3/17/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)19
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Cape's 24-hour endurance run keeps growing; some will run more than 100 miles beginning Friday night (3/15/17)1
Unemployment Assistance Available for Flood Victims
JEFFERSON CITY -- Senator Jason Crowell, R-Cape Girardeau, encourages residents in Southeast Missouri who are unable to work because of flooding and heavy rains to apply for unemployment benefits through the Missouri Department of Labors' Division of Employment Security. The president declared areas of Southeast Missouri a major disaster area, opening the door for state and federal aid for the communities affected.
Residents in Mississippi County and New Madrid counties, could be eligible for the Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).
Eligible to apply for DUA are individuals who:
|*||Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of a disaster.|
|*||Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster.|
|*||Became the breadwinner or major supporter of a household because of the death of the head of the household.|
|*||Cannot work or perform self-employment due to closure of a facility by the federal government.|
Additional eligibility requirements apply. More information on who may be eligible for assistance is available by calling (800) 788-4002 or by visiting www.labor.mo.gov/DES/notices.asp#5counti... . To file a DUA claim, call 800-320-2519 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. from Monday to Friday.