- Peter Kinder resigns federal agency post, concludes position unnecessary and waste of tax dollars (6/16/18)2
- Committee to start planning process for indoor aquatic center in Cape (6/20/18)1
- Longtime downtown Cape bartender Marcellus Jones remembered by friends (6/12/18)2
- Judge denies order of protection for woman accusing deputy of stalking her (6/23/18)5
- Southeast to spend $150,000 to refresh brand with Ohio firm (6/19/18)6
- A community rallies behind Honorable Young Men's Club (6/16/18)1
- Stormy Daniels to visit East Cape Girardeau (6/13/18)20
- Jackson natives compete in 260-mile canoe race (6/16/18)1
- Mother, child reportedly hit by car in Cape Girardeau (6/18/18)
- The collateral damage of Mizzou's past failures (6/20/18)6
Pannier and Williams are Central Athletes of Year
Chelsea Pannier and Andrew Williams were named female and male athletes of the Year during the Cape Central High School Athletic Awards Banquet May 5 at Centenary United Methodist Church. The event was sponsored by the Cape Central All School Booster Club. Chelsea Pannier received the Darla Pannier Award for Female Athlete of the Year. Andrew Williams received The Lou Muegge Award for Male Athlete of the Year. Chelsea was a two-sport star in volleyball and basketball. Andrew was a three-sport standout in football, basketball and baseball and a varsity letterman all four years in football, where he scored 30 touchdowns and 3 extra points in all phases of the game. In basketball, he averaged 13 points per game on the District Championship Team, and in baseball he played on the 2010 All- Conference 1st Team.
In 2010 Chelsea played volleyball on the All-Conference Team, the 1st Team All-District, 1st Team All-Region, was BA All-Star Team member and 2010 Team MVP. She was a 4 year starter on the varsity basketball team and scored 938 total points, placing her in the top 15 in scoring at Cape Central.