- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Oran baseball team records 20th win with rout of Leopold
ORAN, Mo. -- Top-seeded Oran advanced to the Class 1 District 2 baseball championship game with an 11-1, six-inning victory over fourth-seeded Leopold on Tuesday.
The Eagles (20-2) will play No. 2 seed Bernie (15-8) for the district title at 4 p.m. today.
Oran got it done with pitching and defense. Zac Chasteen went the distance on the mound for the Eagles.
"It wasn't his best performance, but he got the job done," Oran coach Mitch Wood said. "He's had some arm trouble and he's not throwing near as hard right now, and Kody [Moore is] hurt right now, so we're having to battle. Chasteen came through when we needed him to, and that's a big lift because I wasn't really expecting to throw him much in this tournament."
Chasteen only allowed three hits over six innings, walking three and striking out four. He was backed by solid defense.
Leopold pitcher Joe Elfrink threw five innings and allowed six runs, but only two were earned. Gregg Davis threw the sixth inning in relief for the Wildcats (9-7).
"You're not going to beat a team like Oran giving up unearned runs," Leopold coach James Lewis said. "That was the bane of our season -- errors."
Bernie 6, Scott County Central 5
The Braves opened a 1-0 lead in the first inning, but the Mules took the lead with four in the third inning.
The Braves cut the lead to 6-4 on Ben Freed's bases loaded two-run double to straightaway center field that glanced off the outfielder's glove.
Then Kamryn Johnson brought home another run on an infield single deep in the hole between second and third, trimming the lead to 6-5, but that's as close as the Braves would get.
ORAN 11, LEOPOLD 1
WP -- Zac Chasteen. LP -- J. Elfrink. HR -- Lance Seiler (L). Multiple hits -- Leopold: Seiler 2-2. Oran: Dalton Elfrink 2-4, Tyler Heuring 2-3, Blake Carlyle 2-4, Alex Heuring 2-4. Records -- Leopold 9-7, Oran 20-2.
BERNIE 6, SCOTT COUNTY CENTRAL 5
WP -- Blake Keasler. LP -- Ben Freed. HR -- Keasler (B). 2B -- Freed (SCC), Kamryn Johnson (SCC), Keasler (B), Jordan McGowan (B). Multiple hits -- Scott County Central: Bryan Freed 2-3, Ben Freed 2-3, Johnson 2-4; Bernie: Keasler 2-4, Blake Trover 2-2.