- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Try thinking outside the box for great rice pilaf
Most people know rice pilaf as a side dish that comes from a box. But it can be so much more.
This simple and speedy recipe for cranberry almond rice pilaf can be on the table in about 25 minutes, only about 10 minutes of which you'll need to actually do anything.
Cranberry Almond Rice Pilaf
1 cup basmati rice
1/4 cup orzo pasta
2 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup dried cranberries
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Ground black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup grated carrots
Salt, to taste
2 scallions, finely chopped
In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine the rice, orzo and broth. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Once the rice has cooked, quickly stir in the cranberries, then cover and set aside for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the rice and cranberries sit off the heat, prepare the rest of the pilaf. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the cinnamon, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, then cook for 30 seconds. Add the onion and saute until it begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add the almonds and carrots, then cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the rice and cranberries to the skillet, toss well. Season with salt and pepper, then mix in the scallions. Serve immediately.