- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Trial date set in Cairo murder case
CAIRO, Ill. -- A 28-year-old Cairo man accused in the July shooting death of a Mounds, Ill., man will have his case heard before a jury starting June 7, according to the Alexander County state's attorney's office.
Melvin Hadley is charged with two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. Hadley allegedly shot 19-year-old Jeserick Pilgram outside a Cairo bar. Another patron was also shot, but the injury wasn't serious.
After the incident, police said Hadley and Pilgram knew each other and were customers at Mary J's Lounge before the shooting.
Hadley is in custody at the Tri-County Detention Center in Ullin, Ill.