- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Water levels still causing problems in East Cape Girardeau
Alexander County, Ill., Emergency Management officials are struggling to lower and maintain water levels in East Cape Girardeau caused by high floodwater on the Mississippi River.
Marty Nicholson, emergency management coordinator for Alexander County, said the water levels are currently about a foot and a half to two feet deep around the intersection of Highway 3 and Highway 146 and south of the intersection on Highway 3. However, according to the Illinois Department of Transportation's latest list of road closures, flooding hasn't closed either of the roads.
Last weekend emergency responders assisted two people on Reiman Road evacuate their home by boat.
Nicholson said there are three pumps set up and running south of the evacuated residence that are making a difference with the level.
"It's working," she said. "It's pulling some of it out, but there's so much. It's going to take time."
As to how much time it will take to clear out all of the water, Nicholson said it depends on how long floodwaters remain at high levels. There's no way to predict at this point.
"It just keeps on coming, and there's no way to stop it."
Any Alexander County residents in need of evacuation assistance can contact emergency management, the Alexander County Sheriff's Department or the Cairo Police Department.
East Cape Girardeau, IL