- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. -- L.D. Davis, 84, lifelong resident and prominent businessman of East Prairie, passed away Wednesday, May 4, 2011, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Feb. 1, 1927, in Mississippi County, to Lillard Dee and Clara Thrower Davis. He and Charlene Conn were married March 26, 1950, at Nelson United Methodist Church in East Prairie.
L.D. lived all his life in Mississippi County, where he owned and operated L.D. Davis Lumber Co. in East Prairie. He attended First Church of God in East Prairie.
He was a U.S. Navy veteran of World War II.
Survivors include his wife; a son and daughter-in-law, Chuck and Terri Davis of East Prairie; a daughter and son-in-law, Liz and Larry Martin of Cape Girardeau; a brother, Tom Davis of Stockbridge, Ga.; two sisters, Freda Dill of East Prairie, Bette Sorrells of Sikeston, Mo.; eight grandchildren, Conn and Scot Davis, Crockette and Heather Leible, Tom and Tim Cutlip, Chris and Austin Martin; two great-grandchildren, Christopher and Brody; and a host of relatives and many friends.
He was preceded in death by a brother, Jim Davis, and a sister, Vera Grady.
Friends may call after 6 p.m. today at Shelby Funeral Home.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with Larry Smith officiating. Burial will be in Dogwood Cemetery.
Pallbearers will be Conn and Scot Davis, Austin and Chris Martin, Tim and Tom Cutlip. Honorary pallbearers will be dear friends and fishing buddies whoever wetted a hook with L.D.
Online condolences may be made at www.shelbyfuneral.com.