- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Cape fines contractor $1,100 a day for street-project delays; contractor blames utility relocations (5/18/17)13
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Attorney general seeks bond revocation for embattled sheriff (5/17/17)3
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
- Revival of Oran police board urged amid timecard fraud, nepotism allegations (5/17/17)4
Congratulations, wind symphony
Dear Jackson High School 2011 Wind Symphony seniors and Wind Symphony members: I wanted to extend to you a most sincere thank you for ending my 31 year teaching career on a high note at our recent concert held May 3 at the JHS events center. I could not have asked for a better send-off than that concert. What a great way to go out.
The seniors are the true backbone of any band program, and you are one of the main reasons why our band program is the best. The Jackson Band Ensembles, Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, Freshman Band, Percussion Ensemble, Woodwind Choir and Brass Choir all received the No. 1 superior rating at the 2011 state music festival, and was the only school in Missouri to enter six large band ensembles and to have all six receive the No. 1 superior rating. That is a true testament of our senior leadership, work ethic and being positive role models for our younger band members. I will always remember what a class act the 2011 JHS Wind Symphony seniors were, and I am sure you will continue to be throughout the rest of your life.
Best wishes and good luck to the 2011 JHS Wind Symphony seniors: Krissie Daniel, John East, Caden Gordon, Samantha Hadden, Todd Heuring, Austin Koenig, Michelle Maevers, Ashley Mann, Brett Nagel, Ann Strickert, Jordan Thomas and Tyler Tuschhoff.
SCOTT VANGILDER, Jackson Band director, Jackson