- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Music permit moves closer to passage
An ordinance that would require Cape Girardeau businesses to purchase a permit to provide entertainment in an outdoor public venue came one step closer to passage Monday night with the second and third readings by the city council.
City manager Scott Meyer said he thinks the issue is moving in the right direction after hearing proposed efforts from the Bel Air Grill, the first business that will apply for a permit, to comply with an application process by monitoring the volume level within the venue, using sound deadening methods, picking up litter and taking extra security measures, as well as hearing comments from residents nearby who say they want the Bel Air Grill to be a successful business.
The council also gave final approval to an ordinance to install a camera atop a pumping station near the Isle of Capri casino construction site that will provide streaming video to the public.
Mayor Harry Rediger said he sees importance in residents being able to see progress as the construction moves forward since the area is mostly blocked off to view. The streaming video may be posted on the city's website.
A public hearing was held in regard to a proposed ordinance to grant a special-use permit to First Missouri State Bank of Cape County and Drury Southwest Signs Inc. for the purposes of constructing, maintaining and operating a billboard at 800 N. Kingshighway.
The location would be on the northwest corner of North Kingshighway and Cape Rock Drive and would fall within the city's size guidelines.
Cape Girardeau City Council action taken
* Approved an ordinance accepting permanent utility easements and a permanent utility and access easement from various property owners for the Cougar Run water line project. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of St. Vincent de Paul Catholic School Subdivision. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of Cypress Valley Estates Subdivision. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of Tipton Subdivision. Second and third readings.
* Approved an ordinance amending Section 17-158 of the Code of Ordinances relating to outdoor music venue permits, and exceptions to Section 17-156, noise control; definitions, and Section 17-157, prohibited acts. Second and third readings.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the city manager to execute an airport ground lease with First Missouri Terminals at the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport. Reading and passage.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the city manager to execute a license and indemnity agreement with IOC Cape Girardeau LLC for the installation of a video camera. Reading and passage.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the city manager to execute amendment No. 3 to an agreement for professional architectural and engineering services with Markey and Associates Inc. for the Capaha Park master plan. Reading and passage.
* Passed a motion accepting the Fire Station No. 1 roof improvements and authorizing final payment to Drury Co.
* Approved an ordinance repealing and enacting new sections of Chapter 25 of the code of ordinances, regarding streets, access management, utilities, subdivisions, site plans and improvements plans. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance authorizing the mayor to execute a quitclaim deed to RAD Properties LLC, transferring excess right-of-way for Armstrong Drive. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance approving the record plat of Plaza Acres second subdivision. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance amending Schedule F of Section 26-247 of the city code, by establishing a no-parking zone on Independence Street from Frederick Street to Middle Street. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance granting a special-use permit to First Missouri State Bank of Cape County and Drury Southwest Signs Inc. for purposes of constructing, maintaining and operating a billboard sign at 800 N. Kingshighway. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance accepting fee simple interest from Saint Francis Medical Center and Saint Francis Health Care System for Franciscan Way entrance improvements at Mount Auburn Road. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance accepting fee simple interest, permanent utility easements and temporary construction easements from various property owners for the realignment of North Main Street. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance providing for the vacation of portions of Main Street, Mill Street and Mason Street rights-of-way within the IOC Development District. First reading.
* Approved an ordinance amending Chapter 5 of the code of ordinances regarding liquor licenses. First reading.
* Postponed approval of an ordinance vacating the city's interest in a portion of unimproved street right-of-way, on Frederick Street, between Mason Street and Olive Street. First reading.
401 Independence St., Cape Girardeau MO