- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Police arrest two men in connection with weekend robberies
Two Missouri men authorities allege were involved in two armed robberies Sunday in Cape Girardeau were both charged Monday with several felonies.
Samuel Thorez Smith, 20, of Dellwood, Mo., and Joseph Lee Childs, 19, of St. Louis, are accused of robbing two victims on Broadway around 12:20 a.m. Sunday and an additional four victims on Whitener Street around 1:50 a.m. At both locations, Smith and Louis allegedly displayed guns and demanded money from the victims.
At Whitener Street, one of the victims tried to run from the suspects but was caught and hit in the jaw, according to a news release from the Cape Girardeau Police Department. He suffered a minor injury, but no others were hurt in the two robberies. Smith and Childs were arrested at their residence on Themis Street after police interviewed the victims and received suspect description. Police say items from the robbery and weapons were found in the suspects' apartment.
Both men are charged with first-degree robbery, second-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and armed criminal action, all felonies. Both men are in custody on a $100,000 cash-only bond.
724 Broadway, Cape Girardeau, MO
2831 Whitener St., Cape Girardeau, MO
3019 Themis St., Cape Girardeau, MO