- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Nancy Hunter NSDAR
The Nancy Hunter Chapter NSDAR met Thursday at Cape Girardeau Public Library. Sheila Holloway, regent, led the group in the rituals plus read "The Indian Minutes."
Jackie Lowes read the President General's message.
LaFern Stiver gave the treasur's report and Catherine Allison read the minutes. Both were approved.
Charlotte Slinkard, registrar, gave an update on new and prospective members. She announced the Nancy Hunter Chapter will be involved in the unveiling of a National Registrar of Historic Places plaque for the Common Pleas Courthouse. This will start with a walking tour, "Themis Turns a Thousand Tales," 6 to 8 p.m. May 18 at corner of Themis Street, west of Main Street. This will be in celebration of National Historic Preservation Month 2011. The Cape Girardeau Historic Preservation commission is sponsoring the walking tour with guide, Chairman Scott House. Dr Frank Nickell of the Southeast Missouri State University, Loretta Schneider. Cape Girardeau Mayor Pro Tem and Darryl Morgan, Town Crier, will also be guides. It is free and open to the public and "The Firing Salute" will be given by the Turner Brigade.
The chapter is planning to honor, Allene Wilson Groves whom was a member of Nancy Hunter Chapter and President General of NSDAR from 1956 through 1959.
Our next meeting will be the last before our summer break and will be held at noon on May 25 at Cape Girardeau Country Club.
-- From staff reports