- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
County commission approves bid to perform lien searches
Cape Girardeau County commissioners approved Monday a bid of $24.50 per parcel from Ward Title Insurance Agency LLC of Cape Girardeau to perform lien searches on selected parcels with delinquent taxes.
Cape Girardeau County Collector Diane Diebold recommended the agency for the bid and said the job will likely include more than 200 parcels and take about two months to complete. The collector's office will charge around $30 per parcel, and the excess fees will be used to cover postage costs.
Commissioners asked Diebold whether the collector's office could perform the lien searches in-house. She said the office doesn't have enough staff members to complete the work within the appropriate time.
"We tried to do it one year, and with having to complete the amount of work we have to do to just get the sale done, we don't have time," she said.
1 Barton Square, Jackson, MO