- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Cape Girardeau County Commission appoints investigator and restitution manager for prosecutor's office
On a 2-1 vote, Cape Girardeau County commissioners approved the appointment of Dennis Dolan as investigator and restitution manager for the prosecuting attorney's office at their Thursday meeting.
Kristi McGowen, office manager and supervising secretary for the prosecutor's office, said the office had recommended Dolan because of his law enforcement background and familiarity with the Cape Girardeau area.
Second District Commissioner Jay Purcell did not vote to approve the appointment. He said he believes county government positions should be posted to offer a chance for the public to apply.
"I think the citizens deserve the opportunity to apply for these positions," he said.
Purcell said his vote against the appointment was not related to Dolan but for not allowing the position to be posted.
"We should seek out the best, most qualified individual," he said.
Dolan will replace Barry Meadows, who is leaving.
In other action
In other business, the commission:
* Accepted bids for a lien search or deed of trust on selected parcels with delinquent taxes to be turned over to the county collector. The four bids were United Land Title LLC for $55 per parcel, Guardian Land Title for $50 per parcel, Metro Title Inc. for $25 per parcel and Ward Title Insurance Agency LLC for $24.50 per parcel.
* Accepted bids for the purchase of plain galvanized corrugated steel pipe and pipe arch for culverts and turn them over to the Cape Girardeau County Highway Department for final determination. The two bids are Metal Culverts Inc. for $60.32 band total and $14,441.26 pipe total and Contech Construction Products for $42.27 band total and $13,330.46 pipe total.
* Accepted the updated floodplain ordinance presented by Stan Murray, Cape Girardeau County floodplain manager.
1 Barton Square, Jackson, MO