May Greene Garden

Saturday, January 1, 2011
May Greene, undated
The exact date of construction of the May Greene home, near the corner of Themis and Fountain, is unknown, but it is believed that several of the rooms on the northwest side of the building were in use before the Civil War. The first known occupant of the house was Judge George H. Greene and his family. Greene died soon after purchasing the house, and his widow married A.H. O'Donoghue, a lawyer like Greene. Greene's daughter, May, lived there until her death in 1948. The house was razed in 1964. (Judith Crow photo)
One of the last photos taken of the May Greene house prior to its demolition. The photo was taken by Marj Suedekum in early April 1963.

A photo taken by Marj Suedekum in May 1965 shows the May Greene Garden after the house was demolished the year before. Blooming were dogwood trees, redbuds and daffodils.
A winter snapshot of May Greene Garden also shows the Greene house, 324 Themis St. In the background can be seen the Missourian Building tower that was razed in 1978.
Irises were in bloom when this photo was made of May Greene Garden at the northeast corner of Themis and Fountain streets. In the background at left was the Greene house which was razed in April 1964.
This undated photo was taken from May Greene Garden at the northeast corner of Themis and Fountain streets. On the opposite corner is Christ Episcopal Church.
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: