- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
High school roundup: Sikeston golfers nip host Poplar Bluff, Notre Dame
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- The conditions may not have been up to par Monday afternoon, but Poplar Bluff's Carr Vernon was.
The junior shot even-par 71 on a wet Westwood Hills Country Club to earn medalist honors at the Poplar Bluff Invitational.
Vernon edged Sikeston's Evan Deere by a stroke but the Bulldogs won the team title by the same margin with a 314 total. Poplar Bluff finished at 315 and was followed by Notre Dame (316), Jackson (323) and Central (335).
Only 11 players in the field broke 80 but two of those were for Sikeston -- Deere at 72 and Ben Murray's 77 -- while Notre Dame had all four scoring players in the top 12.
Gunnar Knudtson and Jacob Seabaugh each shot 78 to lead Notre Dame.
Poplar Bluff's John Gilmore shot 75 to tie for fourth, but his score counted for the Mules' Maroon team, which finished sixth in the 15-team field. Had the sophomore started on the varsity squad, the Mules would have defended their title.
Kennett's Hayden Combs was third at 74, while Jackson's Tanner Werner and Gilmore tied for fourth at 75. Central's Travis Simmons and Zane Betz of Van Buren tied Murray for ninth.
The 18-hole tournament started just after noon in a driving downpour over the first few holes. A light rain fell for much of the day with the intensity picking up at times.
-- Brian Rosener, Daily American Republic
Poplar Bluff Invitational
At Westwood Hills Country Club
Team -- Sikeston 314, Poplar Bluff 315, Notre Dame 316, Jackson 323, Central 335, PB Maroon 336, Kennett 340, Dexter 347, New Madrid Central 367, Bloomfield 375, Kelly 399, Malden 406, Doniphan 407, Caruthersville 417, Fulton School 436
Individual -- 1. Carr Vernon, Poplar Bluff 71; 2. Evan Deere, Sikeston 72; 3. Hayden Combs, Kennett 74; 4. Tanner Werner, Jackson 75; 4. John Gilmore, PB Maroon 75; 6. Travis Simmons, Central 77; 6. Ben Murray, Sikeston 77; 7. Zane Betz, Van Buren 77; 9. Cody Stevens, Dexter 78; 9. Gunnar Knudtston, Notre Dame 78; 9. Jacob Seabaugh, Notre Dame 78
Notre Dame -- Gunnar Knudtson 78, Jacob Seabaugh 78, Cody Cox 80, Brady Dixon 80
Jackson -- Tanner Werner 75, Braxton McDowell 82, Drew Hosp 83, Conner Thrower 83
Central -- Travis Simmons 77, Corey Connell 80, Chris Reeder 88, David Watts 90
Kelly -- Derrick Garner 84, Jacob Buell 103, Brandon Houseman 105, Dillan Rucker 107
Hillboro 165, St. Vincent 195 Crystal City 197
Tim Schumer shot a 46 to lead St. Vincent at a three-team meet at Raintree Country Club.
Brett Wengert followed with a 48, Alex Miget carded a 50 and Dustin Yamnitz shot 51.
Jackson 4, Bishop Dubourg 0
Jackson improved to 7-0 with a 4-0 road victory.
Erin Eakens, Mollie Crader, Alexa Kelpe and Hailey Mouser had goals for Jackson. Kelpe and Jordan Meyr both had an assist.
Brooke Sanders posted the shutout in goal.
-- From staff reports