- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Neighbors mystified over why man was killed by state trooper (05/03/16)20
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- 'American Pickers' visits Poplar Bluff (04/29/16)
Hooked on Science: Soaring toilet paper
Did you know a leaf blower is not just for blowing leaves? It can also be used to rapidly unroll a roll of toilet paper.
* Toilet paper
* Dowel rod
* Leaf blower
STEP 1: Place the toilet paper on the dowel rod and unroll a few pieces of tissue.
STEP 2: Hold the dowel rod horizontally so the roll will unroll away from you.
STEP 3: Turn on the leaf blower and aim the stream of air just over the top surface of the roll.
Bernoulli's Principle states that the pressure exerted by a fluid decreases as its velocity increases. Increasing the velocity over the top surface of the toilet paper lowers the pressure of the air pushing down on the paper. The paper is lifted because there is now an unbalanced force of air pressure acting upward.
Jason Lindsey is a science outreach educator with Hooked on Science. Check out his website www.hookedonscience.org for webcasts and experiments that might get you hooked on science. Send him your science questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. More science experiments can be found at www.semissourian.com.