- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Logan Bartels
Senior right-hander Logan Bartels did a little of everything in the Jackson baseball team's victory over rival Central.
Bartels earned the win on the mound and smacked a home run in the Indians' 13-6 win March 29.
Bartels struck out eight over 5 2/3 innings against the Tigers.
"He works quick, he throws strikes and he just does a good job of getting ahead of hitters and working," Jackson coach Tatum Kitchen said about Bartels.
Central coach Steve Williams came away impressed by Bartels' outing.
"He probably had a little more velocity than we've seen so far," Williams said. "Not that he was throwing it by everybody, but he was getting it up there pretty good. He has a decent breaking ball. And it was a tough day to hit. He made enough quality pitches to keep himself in the game."
Bartels added a two-run homer and a double in the contest. He finish 2 for 5.
Bartels also connected for a home run in Jackson's 8-7 loss to Kennett on Saturday. He went 2 for 4 in that contest.