- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Candidate questionnaire: Kenneth Cook
NAME: Kenneth Cook
PLACE OF BIRTH: Cape Girardeau
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Wife: Diane Cook
Children: Michael Cook, Marianne Cook, Erin Carlton, Rebecca Cook, Sarah Cook
OCCUPATION: Production technician
EMPLOYER: Procter & Gamble
PREVIOUS OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT: Chaffee Alderman 3 years, Delta School Board 6 years
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING THE DELTA SCHOOL BOARD?:
We must continue to monitor our financial resources and expenses in the coming years. With our income experiencing a substantial decrease, we must be diligent when using our financial resources. We must eliminate any expenses that are not important to the education and development of our students today.
I feel we should take a serious look at participating in the A+ Program, which would provide paid tuition for qualifying students at 2-year institutions in Missouri. Students would have to commit to participating in the program and fulfilling certain requirements, but it seems to me it is worth the effort.
I feel we need to be diligent in preparing our students for life beyond High School. Providing information on vocational training, college and other post-secondary education must be stressed. A high school diploma must be viewed as a starting point to continuing education and opening doors to new ideas, and not the end of the line for education.
WHAT IN YOUR BACKGROUND OR EDUCATION MAKES YOU QUALIFIED FOR THIS OFFICE?:
Education: Bachelor of science in computer science and bachelor of science in business administration majoring in management -- both from Southeast Missouri State University.
I have been active in several youth groups while my children were growing up, and have continued to help to this day. I have helped with the Delta Youth League and have served as president of the Delta Booster Club in the past. My experience working with young people and knowing they can succeed when the right foundation is set for them is the biggest reason I will continue to be involved in the Delta Public School system.