- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Candidate questionnaire: G. Scott Cooper
NAME: G. Scott Cooper
PLACE OF BIRTH: Fredericktown, Mo.
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Cheryl Cooper, married 29 years
Josh, son, 26
Jessica, daughter, 24
General manager, Big Muddy Motorsports
EMPLOYER: Big Muddy Motorsports
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART: Cooper Crafts
PREVIOUS OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT:
Perry County School District 32 board member nine years, president past five years. Regional Leadership Committee, Missouri School Boards Association, six years. Missouri School Board Master Board Certification received 2004. Past president Perryville Chamber of Commerce, past president Perryville Rotary Club, past president Perryville Optimist Club, chairman of Finance Committee Perryville United Methodist Church, past chairman of trustees Perryville United Methodist Church.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING PERRYVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS?:
The most important issue facing Perry County District 32 is to continue our focus on academic improvement of our students. Perry County District 32 has been honored by the State Board of Education for "Distinction in Performance". This honor can be attributed to the administrative leadership of the district, dedicated performance of the teaching staff and all support personnel involved on a daily basis to assure our kids are given the opportunities to learn, develop individual skills and produce quality results. The district has worked diligently to provide a well rounded education with limited funding in tough economic times. Moving forward, I would advocate strengthening our curriculum with expectations of greater results in student achievement and improved ACT results. Our students deserve to graduate with the skills and knowledge necessary to compete in higher education, vocational fields and general life challenges.
WHAT IN YOUR BACKGROUND OR EDUCATION MAKES YOU QUALIFIED FOR THIS OFFICE?:
I would ask for voters support to continue on the path of school improvement supporting our kids through higher standards, greater expectations and academic achievement. I have nine years of board training and experience at the local and state level. I have served for six years on Regional Leadership Committees with the Missouri School Boards Association and have attained a master level certification of school board training. I have a BS in business administration from Southeast Missouri State University and 29 years of management experience. I would be honored to continue as your elected representative to serve on the Perry County District 32 Board of Education.