- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)23
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Business notebook: Owners ready to roll out the Barrel 131 (2/20/17)3
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Ray's of Kelso to close, then reopen under new ownership (2/16/17)6
Healthy Eating Tips for Local Dialysis Patients
During National Kidney Month this March, Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA), the nation's leading network of dialysis facilities, partnered with Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., of Food Network's "Big Daddy's House," to create bold and flavorful recipes for people with kidney failure who follow a strict diet.
Many people on the renal diet cannot use salt in their cooking and have to limit a lot of common foods, such as tomatoes, bananas, eggs, milk and yogurt, which can be very challenging. Maintaining a healthy diet is a goal for many people, but for those with chronic illnesses, it can be a matter of life or death. These recipes show that anyone on a restricted diet enjoy food again, and they can be enjoyed by the whole family.
Fresenius Medical Care is now accepting patients at multiple facilities in the southeast Missouri area. Call 1-866-4-DIALYSIS for more information, or go to www.ultracare-dialysis.com/mccargo to see a video of Chef McCargo cooking this dish and for more recipes.
Crunchy Lemon Herbed Chicken
6 (2-ounce) chicken tenders
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (half chilled)
½ cup Japanese bread crumbs (Panko)
¼ cup of lemon juice, plus zest of one lemon
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
3 tablespoons water (1 tablespoon for the egg wash, 2 tablespoons for the finishing of the sauce)
Items needed for garnish:
Diced red bell peppers
Bunches of parsley
Finely diced shallots
Finely sliced scallions
Pre-heat 2 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat.
Add zest of one lemon and half the herbs to bread crumbs, save the rest for lemon sauce.
Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water.
Place chicken tenders between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with small groove side of mallet until thin, but not ripped.
Dip chicken in egg wash mixture then in herbed breadcrumb mixture until coated.
Place breaded chicken in sauté pan with melted butter only after increasing heat to medium.
Cook chicken, approximately 2-3 minutes each side.
Remove chicken and place on sheet tray to rest.
In same pan add remaining herbs, salt, and lemon juice, then heat until simmering.
Turn off heat; cube remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and add to sauce (stir vigorously).
Slice the chicken on the bias.
Placed sliced chicken on a plate, pour the sauce over the top, and add garnishes.
For an additional tasty option use the George Foreman® grill. Remember to use non-stick release spray on the grill for a sure way to not burn chicken.
1 serving = 3 oz. portion