- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)25
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)6
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Men who pulled father, son from burning car near Naylor honored by highway patrol (12/1/16)
Healthy Eating Tips for Local Dialysis Patients
During National Kidney Month this March, Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA), the nation's leading network of dialysis facilities, partnered with Chef Aaron McCargo, Jr., of Food Network's "Big Daddy's House," to create bold and flavorful recipes for people with kidney failure who follow a strict diet.
Many people on the renal diet cannot use salt in their cooking and have to limit a lot of common foods, such as tomatoes, bananas, eggs, milk and yogurt, which can be very challenging. Maintaining a healthy diet is a goal for many people, but for those with chronic illnesses, it can be a matter of life or death. These recipes show that anyone on a restricted diet enjoy food again, and they can be enjoyed by the whole family.
Fresenius Medical Care is now accepting patients at multiple facilities in the southeast Missouri area. Call 1-866-4-DIALYSIS for more information, or go to www.ultracare-dialysis.com/mccargo to see a video of Chef McCargo cooking this dish and for more recipes.
Crunchy Lemon Herbed Chicken
6 (2-ounce) chicken tenders
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (half chilled)
½ cup Japanese bread crumbs (Panko)
¼ cup of lemon juice, plus zest of one lemon
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
3 tablespoons water (1 tablespoon for the egg wash, 2 tablespoons for the finishing of the sauce)
Items needed for garnish:
Diced red bell peppers
Bunches of parsley
Finely diced shallots
Finely sliced scallions
Pre-heat 2 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat.
Add zest of one lemon and half the herbs to bread crumbs, save the rest for lemon sauce.
Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water.
Place chicken tenders between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with small groove side of mallet until thin, but not ripped.
Dip chicken in egg wash mixture then in herbed breadcrumb mixture until coated.
Place breaded chicken in sauté pan with melted butter only after increasing heat to medium.
Cook chicken, approximately 2-3 minutes each side.
Remove chicken and place on sheet tray to rest.
In same pan add remaining herbs, salt, and lemon juice, then heat until simmering.
Turn off heat; cube remaining 2 tablespoons of chilled butter and add to sauce (stir vigorously).
Slice the chicken on the bias.
Placed sliced chicken on a plate, pour the sauce over the top, and add garnishes.
For an additional tasty option use the George Foreman® grill. Remember to use non-stick release spray on the grill for a sure way to not burn chicken.
1 serving = 3 oz. portion