- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Candidate questionnaire: Scott C. Amick
NAME: Scott C. Amick
PLACE OF BIRTH: Cape Girardeau
SPOUSE, CHILDREN'S NAMES:
Brandon, Britne and Blake Amick
Scott County Coroner, funeral director and embalmer
BUSINESSES OWNED, ALL OR PART:
Amick-Burnett Funeral Chapels, Illmo Monument Company
PREVIOUS OFFICES HELD OR SOUGHT:
Presently serving as Scott County Coroner and a member of the Scott City R-1 Board of Education.
WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE FACING SCOTT CITY PUBLIC SCHOOLS?:
Our most important issue is fully preparing our students for what awaits them beyond graduation day. Whether they continue on to college, vocational training or enter the work force.
We need to work with parents to help ready our children to enter the world ready for the challenges that await them. I hope to continue to help in developing the best educational environment possible for all of our students. We need to eliminate as many distractions as possible, so that the faculty and administration may focus on educating our students and not have to continually address discipline issues. Our certified staff is the backbone of the district and we continue employ and retain the best teachers in the state of Missouri.
I am very proud of the strong financial condition of the district. Our school continues to be fiscally sound while we maintain and upgrade our facilities to the highest standards. I truly believe that we have one of the finest districts in Southeast Missouri, if not the entire state!
WHAT IN YOUR BACKGROUND OR EDUCATION MAKES YOU QUALIFIED FOR THIS OFFICE?:
I am a lifelong resident and a graduate of this district. As a local business owner I know the importance of a strong responsibly managed school district. I want to see that our tax dollars are used to fully benefit our district's students.
I know people who are looking to relocate their family to a new community look first at the quality of the education offered. I'm committed to making sure that everyone who looks at our district sees it as a place they would like to send their children.