- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)5
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)23
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
Speak Out 3/9/11
I believe eliminating Missouri's state income tax and raising the sales tax would finally level the playing field for all taxpayers. I'm sick and tired of those who have the means to buy high-ticket items before April 15, only to deduct them through a loophole.
WHAT will it take for people to stop breeding killer pit bulls? Where do they think the name comes from?
IF there is a government shutdown, the first thing that should be shut down is Congress, as its members went two years and could only say no. They do not deserve their pay, period.
I think it is terrible that MoDOT is closing the rest stops along Interstate 55. We have made many trips to St. Louis, and the rest stops have been a godsend. If you have bladder problems, a rest stop is welcome. I am sure if you talk to the truck drivers they would agree they would rather have the rest stops rather than the extra parking spaces.
IT is a shame that the four Americans who sailed into hostile waters were killed. I believe that the U.S. has enough to deal with without protecting those who knowingly leave friendly waters to follow their dreams.
Sales tax benefits
I like the idea of having a little larger sales tax and no income tax in Missouri. It would relieve people of a lot of tax paperwork. But you have to be careful about the details. Consumers in Missouri will likely want to go to other states that have a lower sales tax. Still, people from other states will want to find jobs in Missouri so they will have a lower income tax.