- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Speak Out 3/9/11
I believe eliminating Missouri's state income tax and raising the sales tax would finally level the playing field for all taxpayers. I'm sick and tired of those who have the means to buy high-ticket items before April 15, only to deduct them through a loophole.
WHAT will it take for people to stop breeding killer pit bulls? Where do they think the name comes from?
IF there is a government shutdown, the first thing that should be shut down is Congress, as its members went two years and could only say no. They do not deserve their pay, period.
I think it is terrible that MoDOT is closing the rest stops along Interstate 55. We have made many trips to St. Louis, and the rest stops have been a godsend. If you have bladder problems, a rest stop is welcome. I am sure if you talk to the truck drivers they would agree they would rather have the rest stops rather than the extra parking spaces.
IT is a shame that the four Americans who sailed into hostile waters were killed. I believe that the U.S. has enough to deal with without protecting those who knowingly leave friendly waters to follow their dreams.
Sales tax benefits
I like the idea of having a little larger sales tax and no income tax in Missouri. It would relieve people of a lot of tax paperwork. But you have to be careful about the details. Consumers in Missouri will likely want to go to other states that have a lower sales tax. Still, people from other states will want to find jobs in Missouri so they will have a lower income tax.