- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
The quality of our students' education is important to their long-term success in life. And receiving a quality education means having dedicated parents, quality schools and top notch teachers -- teachers like Nan Beussink.
Beussink, a third-grade teacher at Immaculate Conception School in Jackson, was recently honored with one of the two Distinguished Teacher Awards from the Diocese of Springfield-Cape Girardeau.
After 30-plus years of challenging students to do their best, Beussink will retire at the end of this school year.
Immaculate Conception principal Michele Huffman, who nominated Beussink for the award, called her "one of the most deserving teachers I've ever had the privilege to work with and know."
In addition to inspiring her students, Beussink has also served as a mentor to some of the schools' younger educators.
The Distinguished Teacher Awards were first given out last year to recognize outstanding teachers in the diocese's region, which covers 26 Catholic elementary and high schools and 300 teachers from Joplin, Mo., to Cape Girardeau.
Congratulations, Ms. Beussink, on receiving this award. And thank you to all the excellent teachers, in both public and private schools, for challenging our students and inspiring others to continue a career in education.