- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Mary Laverne Whitson, 64, of Jackson died Monday, March 7, 2011, at Southeast Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born Feb. 19, 1947, at Chaffee, Mo., to Arnold and Barbara Riley Haddock. Mary and Norman Lee "Pete" Whitson were married Oct. 25, 1971.
Mary graduated from Chaffee High School, and Southeast Missouri State University with a bachelor of science degree in history and a minor in English.
After graduation Mary taught history at Leopold, Mo. She then worked for the Division of Family Services and Macy's in Cape Girardeau, retiring in 2009. After she retired she went back to work at Walmart in Jackson. She was a member of St. Mark's Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau.
Mary is survived by her husband, Norman "Pete" Whitson of Jackson; a daughter, Judy (Ray Jones) Whitson of Cape Girardeau; a brother, Arnold Haddock of Arnold, Mo.; and a sister, Janet Sue Keller of Leopold.
She was preceded in death by a brother, Allen.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Cracraft-Miller Funeral Home in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Mike Malone officiating.
Burial will be in Lorimier Cemetery in Cape Girardeau.
Memorials may be made to Safe Harbor Animal Shelter.