- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Southeast Missourian Player of the Week: Jackson's Kyleigh Troxel
Jackson swimmer Kyleigh Troxel is the Southeast Missourian Player of the Week.
Troxel, just a sophomore, became the first all-state swimmer the four-year history of the Jackson program by finishing fourth in the 500-yard freestyle at the state swimming meet at the St. Peters Rec Plex.
She finished the final in 5 minutes, 6.00 seconds after swimming a personal best in the preliminaries with a time of 5:04.26.
"The goal coming into state was making it in the top eight, and I was happy with my swim in the prelims," Troxel told the Missourian. "I was also happy with my swim today. I felt great in the water and was proud to get fourth. I want to continue to work, and I have high expectations next year. I want to get as close to winning as I can."
Troxel finished ninth in the same event a year ago, which left her one spot shy of all-state honors.
"Last year was a little disappointing since I came so close to making it to the championship swim," Troxel said. "But I worked hard and was in better shape this year and it was easier having been there once before. I knew where to go and what to do."