- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)3
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)1
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Judge denies request to revoke sheriff's bond (6/25/17)3
Moore graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pvt. Devan Moore, of Oran, recently completed his military training to become a motor transportation operator for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1221st Transportation Company in Sikeston.
"I joined the Guard because I wanted to serve my country," Moore said. The Guard was a perfect fit for him because he can fulfill his duty as a Soldier but stay at home in Missouri, he said.
He graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Jan. 13, 2010.
Prior to training, Moore served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, he learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Clinton Petty, recruiter at the Sikeston armory, said Moore will be a dedicated Soldier for his new unit
"He's open to new experiences and is enthusiastic about training," said Petty. "He'll be a good Soldier for the company."
Moore will begin serving with his new unit in February 2011.
Moore is the son of David and Michelle Moore, of Oran. He is a graduate of Oran High School.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please call 1-800-GoGuard or visit www.moguard.com.