- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)8
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)14
- Pincksten's newest renovation project: 328 S. Spanish St. (7/17/16)6
- Trooper-involved homicide case rests in prosecutor's hands (7/17/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Sims graduates from military training
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Pvt. Samuel Sims Jr., of Homestown, recently completed his military training to become a motor transportation operator for Missouri National Guard's Detachment 1, 1221st Transportation Company in Sikeston.
"I joined the Guard because I wanted the experience and opportunity," Sims said. "The Guard is a great way to see the world but to also take care of my family."
He graduated from basic training and advanced individual training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., Jan. 13, 2010.
Prior to training, Sims served with Company E of the Recruit Sustainment program in Cape Girardeau. Through the program, he learned basic Army skills and values and became more familiar with his role as a Soldier in the Missouri Army National Guard.
Staff Sgt. Clinton Petty, recruiter at the Sikeston armory, said Sims will be a good Soldier for his new unit and for his family.
"He's a very responsible person," said Petty. "He's dedicated to making his family's life better and fulfilling his obligations as a Soldier. He'll be a great asset to the unit."
Sims will begin serving with his new unit in February 2011.
Sims is supported in his military career by his wife Staci, their children, Samuel, 4, and Kaiden, 1. He is the son of Samuel Sims, of Homestown, and Phyllis Sims, of St. Louis.
For more information about the Missouri National Guard, please call 1-800-GoGuard or visit www.moguard.com.