- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Motorist crashes car into Cape Girardeau bank
An 80-year-old woman drove her car into Wood & Huston Bank Tuesday morning, startling employees and sending the woman to an area hospital with chest pains.
Cape Girardeau police responded to a call at the bank, 111 S. Broadview St., to find the woman's car had jumped a curb and hit the building, though it didn't go through the brick wall. The woman was taken to Southeast Hospital with complaints of chest pain, said police Cpl. Kevin Eudy of the department's traffic division.
The woman was conscious and told police she pulled into the bank's parking lot and attempted to park but that her brakes didn't work, Eudy said.
"But we're thinking maybe she hit the gas," Eudy said.
A bank employee told police the sound of the car hitting the building startled employees but that no one was injured. A bank manager declined to comment to the Southeast Missourian.
Eudy said the bank didn't seem badly damaged and that there were cracks in the drywall on the inside of the building.
111 S. Broadview St., Cape Girardeau, MO