- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)37
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Central wreslter Jawuan Howard claws way to fourth place at state meet
Central senior Jawuan Howard wasn't ready for this state wrestling meet to end.
The 145-pounder dropped his first match at the meet but rallied to win the next four matches to reach the third-place match.
Howard's run finally ended with a 7-5 loss to Ladue Horton's Owen Blyth in the third-place match.
Howard opened a 2-1 lead during the second period, but Blyth scored four straight points to pull out the match.
Howard's fourth-place finish in Class 3 was the best for a local wrestler.
Jackson senior Ryan Marble, who will wrestle at the U.S. Military Academy next year, advanced to the 171-pound semifinals, but he dropped a 7-1 decision to Ozark's Cody Lindsey.
Marble jumped out to an early 4-1 lead after the first period in the fifth-place match against Rockhurst's Luke Tripp. Marble kept pulling away and posted the 8-3 win to end his season.
Jackson senior Levi Rayburn also earned a shot at a fifth-place finish. The 112-pounder dropped a 1-0 decision to Jefferson City's Hunter Neighbors in the Class 4 quarterfinals. He responded with a win before dropping his next two matches. Rayburn was pinned in 2 minutes by Timberland's Devan Richter in the fifth-place match.
103 -- Daniel Lewis, Blue Springs, p. Kodi Byrd, J, in 4:17
112 -- Hunter Neighbors, Jefferson City, def. Levi Rayburn, J, 1-0
119 -- Ben Henson, Francis Howell Central, def. Jordan Reisenbichler, J, 8-2
140 -- Keenan Hagerty, Blue Springs, p. Levi Hobeck, J, in 2:44
171 -- Ryan Marble, J, def. Danny Klick, William Chrisman, 14-11
140 -- Michael Cuthbertson, Branson, def. Austin Martin, C, 10-5
189 -- Conor Vortherms, Ft. Zumwalt East, p. Kevin Flesher, C, in 2:44
171 -- Cody Lindsey, Ozark, def. Marble, J, 7-1
103 -- Byrd, J, def. Cartland Allen, Lee's Summit, 9-5
112 -- Rayburn, J, def. Angel Martinez-Arroyo, Raymore-Peculiar, 11-3
119 -- Daniel Wrocklage, Lafayette Wildwood, def. Reisenbichler, J, 5-3
140 -- Brett Beckmann, Holt, def. Hobeck, J, 6-3
189 -- Steven Kingsolver, Lee Summit, def. Michael Riney, J, 1-0
HWT -- Brian Paur, Francis Howell Central, def. Luke Slinkard, J, 3-2
140 -- Austin Martin, C, def. Cody Zeik, Ft. Zumwalt South, 9-6
145 -- Jawuan Howard, C, p. Trenton Landes, Carl Junction, in 3:37
189 -- Kevin Flesher, C, def. Akintunde Odunleye, Hazelwood, 5-0
103 -- Guillermo Diaz, Raymore-Peculiar def. Byrd, J, 1-0
112 -- Rayburn, J, def. Nick Lepper, Lee Summit, 9-7
140 -- Cody Friebe, McDonald County, def. Martin, C, 15-0
145 -- Howard, C, def. Darian Jones, Ft. Zumwalt North, 6-1
189 -- Jacob Didier, Parkway Central, def. Flesher, C, 7-5
112 -- James Krischke, Ft. Zumwalt West def. Rayburn, J, 7-2
171 -- Matt Greene, Francis Howell Central, def. Marble, J, 5-4
145 -- Howard, C, def. Dakota Stanart, Raytown South, 7-3
112 -- Devan Richter, Timberland, p. Rayburn, J, in 2:00
171 -- Marble, J, def. Luke Tripp, Rockhurst, 8-3
145 -- Owen Blyth, Ladue, def. Howard, C, 8-7