- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Powell receives his fifth OVC honor this season
Southeast Missouri State junior forward Leon Powell has earned another Ohio Valley Conference newcomer of the week award.
Powell garnered his second consecutive such honor and fourth of the season on Monday. He also has been OVC player of the week one time.
Powell was recognized after averaging 14 points and nine rebounds in three road games last week as Southeast went 1-2. He added five assists, three blocks and two steals while shooting 64 percent from the field (16 of 25).
Powell, who missed all of last season with a knee injury after transferring from junior college, is the OVC's seventh-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder with averages of 14.5 points and 7.9 boards per contest.
In addition, Powell leads the nation in field-goal percentage at 63.8. He also is third in the OVC in blocks (1.5 per game).
"Leon is having a tremendous season," Southeast coach Dickey Nutt said.
The Redhawks (7-19, 5-10) return to action at 7 p.m. Wednesday with their final OVC home game against first-place Murray State (20-6, 12-3), the defending OVC regular-season and tournament champion.
Southeast is seventh in the 10-team OVC with three conference games left. The top eight finishers make the OVC tournament. The Redhawks have not qualified for the event since the 2006-07 season.